Thursday, June 05, 2008

Feeling like the Amish

Last night, our lights and cable went out before heading to church...around 6:30pm. We had VERY strong winds and tons of rain. Cody and Carleigh just stared out the windows while we were driving to church. When we arrived home, still no electricity. So I had to explore and search for our candle lighter. Once I found it (which wasn't that easy in the darkness) we had light. While lighting the candles in the kitchen away from two curious preschoolers, Carleigh broke out in "Happy Birthday Cody!" Umm....girl, that was 6 months ago!! He He HE! She links candles with birthdays only as I do not light candles when they are awake.

It was really fun trying to entertain a 3 and 4 year old without lights! Luckily they are not afraid of the dark. Cody was happily playing in his bedroom in complete darkness. Putting on pjs and changing diapers were not fun either. While I was chatting with my sister on her porch, Matt yells up the street that Carleigh locked them out of the house! Luckily, our neighbor has a key and we were saved from having to shimmy in a small kitchen window which is absolutely no fun!! We kept seeing Duke Energery trucks going up and down our streets for a couple of hours before we decided to go to bed around 11.

Boy, we felt like the Amish! I have resolved myself to making a tub filled with flashlights, candles, lighter, and a few other things just in case. My brother in law had a hand-cranked energy lantern that was I coveting, I mean wanting to buy.

Carleigh refused to sleep in her bed and was completely terrified so she slept with me. Then all of a sudden, around 12:45am, the lights came on, the clock/radio came on BLARING, the tv came to life and lights were on in all rooms!! Luckily, Carleigh was sound asleep and so was Cody even with his bedroom light on!! *Sigh* What a night!

2 comments:

Toni said...

ROFLOL! Jen, this post was HILARIOUS!!! Happy Birthday, I was soooo cracking up. And the lights coming back on. Been there, done that. Isn't it special? ;)
How nice to live so close to your sister too. Sure wish my family was near.
Blessings,
~Toni~

A Family Created By God said...

Yes, it's nice to have your sister live on the same street....at least until we move next year!!