Friday, May 01, 2009

We survived

I felt the prayer this morning! Despite the never-ending rain, we arrived on time (before it was open!) and did not have to wait long as we were the first one to have it done. It was a little surreal experience.

We walk in and see tons of electrodes and cream and wax. Then there was the computer and lamp. Intimidating for Cody and I!! The tech suggested a papoose to keep Cody still and I wholeheartedly agreed. (Hmmm, could I get this for home when I need his eye patched???) If you do not know what a papoose is, it is a long, padded board and the child lays in it and get velcro-wrapper like a mummy. The only thing Cody could do was to move his head.

He did WELL! The tech kept praising Cody because most other children squirm and thrash their head around. She was very seasoned and had grandchildren. She had to put cream then place the electrodes through out Cody's head and then put tape or wax on to keep it secure. Twenty-seven electrodes were placed on Cody and I was starting to think he was Frankenstein or some science experiment! Then they placed to on his heart to monitor his heart rate. Cody had to endure the torture (not really) for 26 LONG minutes. I sang, the tech sang, and Cody recited the alphabet and numbers. At one point, I thought he was going to sleep, but he didn't. In fact, the little guy didn't go to sleep until after I put him in bed. Way to go Cody!!!

We will get the results at his neurologist appt. May 28th. So now, I am getting ready to go back to school for the afternoon.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

So thankful that it's over and that you are alive! I will not be surprised if I walk by your room today and you are snoozing on your desk! :)

Toni said...

I know how exhausting it is. Did he cry when they scraped his scalp for the electrodes? It doesn't "hurt" per se, but it's a bit uncomfortable. So glad it's done and will pray about the results. Way to go, Cody.
Blessings,
~Toni~