Saturday, May 09, 2009

Blessed to be Mommy

I used to absolutely hate Mother's Day. Oh, about 7 years ago I was in the middle of infertility treatments, shots, ultrasounds, IUIs, pills, and it was hard. Very hard. I wondered if I would ever be a mother, and I was angry, depressed, sad, and felt very alienated. If it weren't for the Lord, who knows where I would be.

Then, after giving up the treatments (we stopped cold turkey and didn't even call the RE after our last failed cycle), I just prayed for the Lord to give me a clear direction whether we would be childless and be a family of two or whether adoption would be the way to build our family.

After much prayer, I knew adoption was our route to parenthood. After 9 months of taking classes, completing the lengthy paperwork and homestudy, we were licensed. We had a couple of heart breaks and then one cold January day changed everything. My first few Mother's Day were still bittersweet. I didn't know if I should feel like a mother since I was still "foster mommy." After the second Mother's Day, I started to actually accept that I was a mother. Not a mother of conventional means, but a REAL mother to my incredible blessings.

There is no possible way to best describe what my son and daughter mean to me, I am just so blessed! Whether we adopt again is still up in the air, I am so completely filled with love for my two.

I am wishing everyone a Happy Mother's Day and am praying for those who have empty arms this year.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Well said, Jen. And completely felt on this mommy's heart as well.
Blessings,
~Toni~