Friday, November 21, 2008

What a day!

The day started very typical as I went to school and left at lunchtime. I quickly realized I left my purse at work! Opps! So, after Cody's meeting, Carleigh and I went before her follow-up Dr's appt. She liked meeting some of the teachers and she received a lollipop from the principal! Carleigh did a great job at the doctor's office and got the flu vaccine via a nasal spray. This was the first time she received it this way. She did remarkably well and we plan on getting Cody in soon to get the same thing.

I guess I am just trying to process all the "heavy" things discussed in the meeting and we all seem to want what is best for Cody, but it is hard on a mommy's heart to hear all the negatives about your child. We have some plans set up and with Cody's 5 year physical in January, we might be getting an ADHD diagnosis. He's so young to get that diagnosis, but we do agree that he almost for certain has it. Maybe with medication, it will help him to focus and concentrate on communication skills. They were so impressed with his achievement last year and although he is progressing, it seems we have reached a "plateau" in his communication skills. At this time, they figured he would be speaking in small sentences. *sigh* Matt and I have a lot of thinking and decisions to make regarding his education, but we do have 6 months to decide which is good!

One really neat thing is that he is connecting letters to the SOUNDS which is the precursor to reading!! I also have some strategies to help him and now plan on working with him over Thanksgiving Break (they are out ALL next week) and Christmas break. I loved homeschooling him this summer and plan on doing lots of fun things over my TWO WEEK break!! (Yes, I am VERY excited to have two FULL weeks off for Christmas!! Wooohooo!)

2 comments:

Toni said...

I know what you mean about this, Jen. It is a hard thing to process. I felt it with every SERRC test and with Reece's early intervention exit/IEP meeting.

With him, I got several "borderline" comments, yet he didn't qualify for services. I didn't want him to be the one struggling at the bottom of a group of typically developing children. Rather, I wanted him to receive the services *he* needed to succeed. I know they had obejective criteria, but my own mother instincts guided me as well.

I'll pray that both your mother instincts and your teaching background and knowledge will guide you, and that ultimately God will impress on your hearts how to see that Cody reaches his fullest potential. Sigh, it can all be so overwhelming. I'm so glad he has two very loving parents to rely on.
Btw, with some of the positive things you've shared recently regarding his speech progress, I'm hoping and praying that full sentences are close at hand.
Blessings,
~toni~

A Family Created By God said...

Thanks so much Toni!! I appreciate all the prayer. It is so hard to know what is best for your child and I want to make the right decisions for Cody. They brought up some good ideas to work with him and I need to research more speech games and activities that will be short and quick due to his lack of attention span. And hopefully the pediatrician will have some insight in January.