Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Presidential Inauguration

This was the first time that I have watched a Presidential Inauguration with my class. Last time was 2001 and we just had gotten internet at our school let alone being able to watch it on the big screen. In fact, it was my first year of teaching second grade and first full-year of teaching when George W. Bush was sworn into office.

Well, this year, my class and the other second grade class watched it via BIG SCREEN on our Smartboard. Yep, we were feeling pretty good to be watching it on JUMBO screen. It was very exciting and yet I was watching my second graders and their reactions to it. When Pastor Rick Warren was praying, my class humbly bowed their heads, one little girl B lifted her hands in prayer and praise (and I might add she is a BIG Obama fan!). Whenever the audience applauded or they wanted everyone to stand, there goes my class standing and applauding. My co-worker Joanne and I thought it was rather amusing!

Of course, the highlight was eating lunch in my classroom (which smelled like a lunchbox the REST of the afternoon!) and watching it all. It was a moment in history that I didn't want them to forget. Hopefully years down the road, they will think about this and say "Oh, wasn't Mrs. S the best and let us watch it on the Smartboard?" By then, the Smartboard will be replaced with some better mode of technology!!

No comments: