Sunday, December 27, 2009

A New Year, A New Me

Out with the old year and into the new year, I too must change as well!

I have had some testing done over the past couple of months and had a Glucose Tolerance Test that indicated that I am glucose intolerant. This means that I have "Pre-Diabetes." Diabetes is prevalent on my dad's side and I can remember vividly watching my Grandma giving herself shots of insulin. And now some of my aunts and uncles have Diabetes as well. You just cannot prevent genetics, but I am going to do my very best at preventing full-blown Diabetes.

My plan of action is to lose weight (already down about 15 pounds), exercise, and to learn how to plan meals that are Diabetic friendly. Most of you are aware that my husband has Diabetes so it would really benefit the both of us. I am planning on meeting with a dietitian as well as take nutrition classes at a local hospital. I am also taking some medication that should help out as well.

Tonight, I put together my stationary bike that I purchased with my Christmas money. What's nice about it is that I can watch tv or listen to my iPod stereo while working out. Fun Fun Fun!

Hopefully this time next year, I will look and feel completely different!


3 comments:

Toni said...

Jenn, you're doing an AMAZING job of working toward better health. Honestly, I am soooo very proud of my friend. And not just proud. VERY HAPPY for you and your entire family because your efforts will benefit every single one of them. Keep up the excellent effort. I just know you'll be rewarded in many ways. And as you prepare different meals, keep introducing them. There are recipes that my kids didn't like in the beginning that they have no problem with a year later, all because they've been exposed to so many new ingredients and with repetition over time.
Blessings,
~Toni~

A Family Created By God said...

Thank you Toni! It means a lot! A couple of things have already changed in the way of the kids' diets. I have switched to turkey hot dogs and so far no one has noticed the difference. Actually Carleigh is eating them more than pork. We had baked turkey breasts last night and they actually ate several bites so we are seeing progress! Cody will eat more veggies than Carleigh although she likes a lot of dips. Hopefully after taking the classes, I will have more ideas than just a few.

Toni said...

Well if you get any ideas that you really love, DO share! That's great that some of the new foods are going over well with the kids. Have you tried hummus with them? My kids like it on carrots or celery (especially the garlic flavor, which Aldi sells for $1.59, waaay less expensive than Kroger at $4.00)