Friday, September 18, 2009

Update to homework

Last night we finished Cody's homework for the week. Matt got involved also and it was fun watching Cody identify ALL the lower case letters. There were 4 that he had to "think" about or said wrong initially because he wasn't focusing. However, the second time around, he knew h, g, q, and y. He knows almost or all of his sounds so I am going to buy sight words flashcards and blends so that we can get Cody reading.

I was talking to one of the K teachers at my school and she has started a new handwriting program. She said it is great program to prevent reversals, so I am going to "research" it and possibly use it for my kids at home. An OT (occupational therapist) created this program and the OT at our school uses it as well.

Here's a funny, one of Cody's worksheets had him circling the first sound in the word. Well, the picture was a cow. So I was asking Cody, "What is the first sound you hear in cow?" He replied, "Mooooooooo!"

3 comments:

Toni said...

What is the program called? Handwriting Without Tears gets lots of praise for helping children with fine motor difficulties to succeed in handwriting. Just wondered if it might be that (and another is on my mind but the name escapes me, Write Way or something like that.)
Sounds like all is going well with Cody's homework, Mister Smartie Pants. I'm thrilled for him with the progress he's making. You're doing an awesome job along with his classroom teacher.
Blessings,
~Toni~

A Family Created By God said...

Yes, you are right Toni. It is "Handwriting Without Tears." Our K students at school are learning with this new program and I am going to look into it for practice at home with my two.

Toni said...

Big favorite for many moms in homeschooling as well. I have not used it, but did check it out at the conventions and I can see why so many like it.
Blessings,
~Toni~