Thursday, September 10, 2009

Family Reunion


We are leaving tomorrow around 6pm for London, Kentucky. The annual Hibbard Family Reunion will be held most of the day on Saturday in Manchester. The majority of my family live in Clay or Laurel counties in Kentucky (Southeastern region). My dad is one (second oldest) of 13 children and since my grandparents have passed away about 15 years or so ago, the children continue to get together. Other than my dad and my Aunt Della (who lives in TN), the rest of the children all live in Kentucky. There are over 50 grandchildren and to be honest with you, I could not name all of my cousins, then there are great-grandchildren and great-great grandchildren. Facebook has helped me get connected with some of my cousins, but I still will have to ask them who they are at the reunion. They are having it at an elementary school (one that Hannah Montana visited and gave them a computer lab due to American Idol Gives Back). It is really a small, poor country school. A part of me would LOVE to teach there. It is mostly poor Appalachian children, but sometimes I get the urging that I need to teach children who really NEED me. Just something that has been on my heart for over a year. Not sure if I will take the call, maybe down the road.

After the reunion, we plan on visiting my mom's parents' graves in Red Bird. I haven't been there since Cody was a baby. My sister and her family, my parents, and I are all staying at the same hotel and spending the weekend together. It will be nice to spend some time with all my family. Carleigh's highlight of the trip will be swimming Saturday evening in the indoor pool where we are staying.

Hopefully, there will not be a de-ja-vu of last year coming back. Last year, the Windstorm of '08 hit when we got back from KY and our power went out not an hour after we got back. And our power did not come back on until Wed. afternoon.

1 comment:

Toni said...

I remember the storm that knocked out your power last year. Yeesh! And Carl's grandmother's name was Della. And our family desires to do an Appalachian missions project someday (Carl's relatives are mostly from WV.) Neat ties between us there, eh?
Blessings,
~Toni~