Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Media and Our Ordeal


Let's preface to say that I wasn't going to post about what we experienced in KY two weeks ago, but now since it is on every newspaper stand, online news websites, and local/national news, I will go and tell you all what happened.

As most of you know (if you follow my blog) you know that we were in Kentucky on a family reunion, well, since my whole immediate family (parents, sister & her family, my family) were there, my mom wanted to go and visit her parents and grandparents' graves.

We left the reunion at 6pm and had about an hour or so of daylight left. The cementery is located in southern Clay County, not too far from where our reunion was. It is in a highly wooded area and very sparsely populated. You have to drive into the Daniel Boone National Forest to get there. Well, there is a gate there and we all parked there minus my dad and all piled into the back of his truck to drive a short distance on a gravel path to the cementary. Without going into full graphic, detail, we found a man hanging from a tree. Needless to say, it horrified us and we quickly turned around and left!

We called the police and then my brother in law and dad took the police back to where we found him. It was just awful and I have been having a hard time getting the image of that poor man out of my mind. I do not like being by myself at night or ever. The first couple of nights, I just didn't sleep. I was slowly getting it out of my mind until it hit national news mid-week. Then, I heard it was mentioned on the "Today" show and "The Morning Show." And I was like, wow!

Then, someone found my brother-in-law's name and he was from the Associated Press and interviewed him. Within an hour, it was on every news website in the country. Our local news station broadcasted my brother in law's name and where he lives. While they were out last night, a reporter from CBS left a message on their door. They have been bombarded by the media last night and today.

It all feels so surreal. I kept asking the Lord why did WE have to come upon that horrific scene, but I guess He wanted us to find him so that the investigators could start working on the case. If we didn't go over there, who knows when they would've found him?

Please pray for that poor man's son, mother, and family. I just cannot imagine what they are going through. My thoughts and prayers have been with them since the night we found him. (By the way, if you google US Census Worker, you'll find the story. It is everywhere!)

1 comment:

Toni said...

I am soooo upset and speechless for all of you, Jen. I mean,...I just don't even know what to say. I'm HORRIFIED and I didn't even witness it. I'm so sorry this happened to all of you, and I'll pray for ALL who are affected by this sad event. :(
Blessings,
~Toni~