Wednesday, October 21, 2009

More ramblings

Today, I started walking right after dinner (thanks to Matt's new job and job schedule but oh, did I mention his new job?) and talked with a neighbor who told me that if I walk from the beginning of our street all the way down to the gravel back lot, it is 1/4 of a mile. So I walked 4 miles today in an hour and 20 minutes. My niece walked with me again for part of the time and then I did the rest on my own.

It was nice walking in the daylight, but tomorrow I will have to walk LATE as I have parent/teacher conferences until 8pm. I then came home and did my regular exercises. Tonight's pains are in my feet. I have flat feet and they are just not used to that much intense, power walking. Hopefully by next week, they will be used to this strenous routine. I have to push myself hard or I won't follow through or continue. So I cannot let myself skip a day or it will become two or three.

My next task is to totally change my diet. Due to a condition I have, I really need to re-evaluate what I eat and go on a diet that helps reduce the symptoms I have and not enable it. This will probably be the hardest thing, plus cooking for the rest of my family. Thank goodness they are not picky eaters!

On to Matt news....he was called yesterday to begin his new job! It starts out as a temporary position, but hopefully he will get hired on. Prayers are much appreciated! We LOVE LOVE LOVE his new hours (gets home before ME) and he gets to see my wonderful sister alot as they are in the same building. His first day went well and he enjoys what he does now rather than his old job.

My kiddos are healthy right now, but that can all change in a blink of an eye thanks to H1N1. It is hitting our school really bad and luckily I haven't caught those yucky germs. Carleigh will continue to take allergy meds for awhile and we are hoping that stops all the ear infections she has been having lately.

We are looking forward to weekend plans to a HUGE maze in Germantown this weekend with friends and of course the kids are excited about Halloween. Gotta love Fall!

2 comments:

Toni said...

We also had to enact a "zero excuse" rule for exercising or we would totally fail (live and learn). Now, every other day, we use our home equipment. On the opposite days, we walk, weather permitting (and there are few weather excuses; we walk in humidity and in winter if the temps are around 40 and not too windy.) With diet changes, we went a step at a time. Soda was eliminated first. Next, we cut out all red meat (harder for Carl, the guy, than me.) After that, all processed foods went. Whole foods are expensive, but there are ways to keep cost down. Then came the increase in vegetarian meals and decrease in meat dishes, as well as the elimination of as much dairy as possible. We feel (and are) much healthier 16 months later. And I can't imagine going back to our old diet and lack of exercise.

I'm going to pray that you find the balance that moves you forward, Jen. I don't want you to burn out, but I also understand how excuses can cause us to fail so there isn't much room for that either. It sounds like you're determined to succeed and I want to encourage you to that end. I'm off to break up a spat between my boys now. Some things NEVER change, lol.
Blessings,
~Toni~

Toni said...

One more thing....
You can find inexpensive treadmills (even compact size ones) at Goodwill for a reasonable price. My girlfriend uses hers all winter, then walks outside in summer.
Blessings,
~Toni~