Monday, February 16, 2009

No Holiday For Us!

This would have been a day off for Cody, Carleigh, and mommy but due to 2 snowstorms, this is one of the 3 makeup days that I have to take. Cody and Carleigh has one more day to make up (Memorial Day) but I am not sending them. I know...I am a rebel!! Ha Ha Ha (It's CRAZY to send preschoolers on Memorial Day and I refuse to send them....they are not going to miss anything anyway!)

This week, the emphasis in my classroom is ancient and modern Egypt. Each class picks a country and learns all about it. Then next week during International Week, we have each class come and listen to what we have learned. I am including the Smartboard in the presentation and hopefully the students will WOW all the other classes with their tech savyness! All this is wonderful and great but it absolutely makes this teacher exhausted with all the prep work that I HAVE to do plus organize costumes, food, show times....*sigh*! To give you an idea on what we do this is what we are doing this week along the lines of Egypt: making the Egyptian flag, make collars, bracelets, make an Egyptian hanging mobile, make life-size sarcophagus for reach student (Egyptian coffin that you put a dead Pharaoh in for mummification), studying the muffication process, write a research paper on Egypt, make 3-D pyramids, and learn Arabic/Muslim culture. And that is not including all the other subjects like Bible, Reading, Spelling, Math and Science! We do go an extra hour than public school so we do get a little extra time to cover all that we need which includes Bible time.

If you do not hear from me this week....this is why!

1 comment:

Toni said...

We are studying creation to the Greeks this year, so we spent quite a bit of time on ancient Egypt. It was fascinating. Right now, we're studying the Greeks and I'm reading The Children's Homer to the kids. I saw a few cute projects on line where you mummify a Barbie or similar doll. Wanted to do it, but had to pick and choose what fit practically with our day. Enjoy this interesting time in history with your students. And I sooo agree with you on not sending the kids for Memorial Day. Nope, I wouldn't do it either.
Blessings,
~Toni~