Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Going organic


One of my family goals for the year is to get everyone eating healthy. I have been reading an awesome book on metabolism and how to get your metabolism working to burn fat and calories. One of the BIGGEST suggestions is to go organic. With that said, we are going organic (mostly) with our food choices! There will be times when being totally organic isn't possible, but my goal is for my family to be 80% organic.

This week, I have been secretly changing out some of our fruits and veggies and substituting them with organic. No one has noticed! We have been eating out less and I have actually enjoyed cooking more.

Each evening, we are getting used to a new "regular" with eating healthy and exercising. Hopefully going organic doesn't significantly inflate our grocery budget! I am also going organic with our cleaning products and other household goods. If you have any tips or words of wisdom on organic living, I would love to hear them!

3 comments:

Toni said...

We love organic, prefer organic, and would love to be 100% organic. It's just not possible in our budget. The shift to whole foods was expensive enough. So we eat organic whenever possible, and I make choices about what needs to be organic and does not. For example, if it's a fruit or veggie that is well contained (ie. bananas or pineapple) we pass on organic. If it's something like lettuce though, organic is much more needed.

One of the ways to save on organics is to join an organic co-op. You'll pay up front, have to pick up your order weekly, and will need to adjust your planning and cooking schedule to what was available that week in your order, but it can save $$$ and supports local agriculture (BIG PLUS).

I make my own "green" laundry detergent and I'm about to begin making my own dishwasher liquid as well. My laundry recipe is similar to the link below, but I don't use anywhere near that much soap. I use the liquid recipe, since we have very hard water here.
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/make-your-own-laundry-soap.html#
BLessings,
Toni

Toni said...

You can check for to see if you have a CSA (community supported agriculture, co-op) nearby, here.
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

A Family Created By God said...

Thanks so much Toni! I will have to check out those websites!