Sunday, December 09, 2007

Update to Cody's IEP Meeting

Cody's IEP meeting was Thursday morning and it went well. His speech therapist grabbed me and asked what did I do to Cody because he was a different child than last spring. She called me a miracle worker and I was just shocked! It was not me, it was ALL Cody! He just wanted to learn and I gave him the things he needed TO learn. They were all amazed at how much he learned over the summer: his ABCs, his numbers, shapes, colors and words that he can say. We developed a new IEP that will last for another year.

I followed his teacher back to the classroom where school had just begun. It was neat to see Cody sitting at the circle rug listening to the calendar time and then singing and dancing to their morning song. I got to see the sweetest thing: a little girl (on-target developmentally) came over to Cody, grabbed his hands and then they jumped together when the song required jumping. During the IEP meeting, his teacher and therapists had told me about M who decided all on her own that Cody needed help jumping, so she started taking his hand and jumping together. They also told me that M walks Cody up the ramp and into the classroom every morning! It just warms my heart to know that he is making friends and going into the classroom every day just like the other kids!!

No comments: