Thursday, June 21, 2007

Sidewalk Chalk - A Learning Tool

Yesterday, I decided to get some sidewalk chalk out and do an impromptu lesson review on the ABC's. I wrote all the uppercase letters on our concrete floor of our carport. When my two woke up from their naps, I brought them outside. They were fascinated with the chalky stuff, but more than the chalk, they loved looking at the letters that they know. Cody would bend down and point to a letter and then say the name of the letter! It was so sweet to hear his soft voice say "A, B, C, D, F, I, M, O, P, Y" and then he pointed to the letters and identified 1 through 5!

Last night, I was counting to 5 and making it a game to them. I would slowly start at 1 and then at 5, I would tickle them, dance with them and act crazy. Carleigh the ever bright one would anticipate the counting and get shy when I said 4 and just laugh out loud when I said 5. She really hasn't started counting yet so the exercise was for her more than Cody. I think I found the perfect game for her and to help her on her journey of counting. What I love most about teaching is seeing a child's love of learning blossom. It is so neat to see Cody and Carleigh light up when we do ABC work and counting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, those are great moments. I like to use masking tape to tape a giant new letter on the carpet (berber, that is; comes up easily). Then we dance on it, walk the outline of it, make games where home base is "B", etc.
Fun, fun!
Blessings,
~Toni~