Saturday, January 27, 2007

Gotcha Day!

Three years ago today, I got a phone call ( at 10am) in my classroom for our social worker asking us if we would foster a 11 day old premie straight from the hospital. Of course I said yes! I didn't even ask Matt and he didn't know about it until later in the day since he was out on the road with his job! I had to work the entire day and prepare sub plans for the rest of the week. We had less than 7 hours to prepare for the baby and my thoughts were on the baby and thinking, WE DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING FOR A NEWBORN!!! We were expecting a toddler, not an infant. The only thing that we had was a crib and a few pieces of clothing for toddlers. While we were at the hospital, my mom and sister went to the store and bought a few items that we needed. We also had friends and family bring items to us the next day. I will never forget that night and bringing him home on a cold, snowy January night. My mom and dad were waiting for us to get home at my sister's house who also lives on the same street as I. They came down, my sister, niece, and Matt's parents. I was scared to death having the baby on my own that night but my heart fell in love with him! I am amazed at how that 5lb. 2 oz little baby has grown into a 3 foot toddler! He is such a loving little boy and I wouldn't change anything! We are so blessed to be finalizing his adoption in less than 2 weeks!!

No comments: