Monday, August 06, 2012

Our Kentucky Adventure



We had to cancel our Lake Michigan adventure due to Mr. C's foot infection. We tried to get a cabin at Hocking Hills with no luck. We looked into Indy, but it was the Brickyard race so....a weekend later, we decided to head to Kentucky!

My parents were born in Southeastern Kentucky. I have lots of family there....too numerous to count because my dad is one of 13 children. When his parents passed away, Dad inherited 9-10 acres of land in Clay County near Manchester. His land is near the old home of my grandparents. My memories of them are in that house and playing outside there. Well, it is completely different because that house is gone and weeds and trees have taken its place.

We park Dad's car and head up a dirt made path to Dad's land. The banjo medley from the movie "Deliverance" came to mind as we trek to the location. I am being SERIOUS people! Many of the homes in this holler are so old and in bad repair! It really was sad! I must say it is so quiet and peaceful. I was a little on-edge due to an incident that happened a few years ago at a different location in the same county. (I think it has brought some peace and closure to my hated feelings of that place!)

His land is full of trees, hills, grass, and just untouched nature! He walked around and checked it out while we watched. (Too many unfamiliar plants prevented us from exploring too much!) The land would be perfect for a cabin, but it is so far away from civilization that I think I would be in panic mode if an emergency came up.

We visited one of Dad's brothers and his family and my mom's sister and husband.



The highlight of the trip was Cumberland Falls. It was my mom's idea and I haven't been there since the summer before my senior year in high school (1993). It was so much fun, but a little scary due to rocks, steps, and dangerous cliffs. We had very firm holds on Mr. C the entire time and it was helpful to have his Papaw there. The Falls are so very large and beautiful!



The kids enjoyed swimming in the hotel pool and (despite getting hit in the head with a football) I enjoyed the pool as well! Cinderella did NOT want to go home and wanted to hang out at the pool. It was a fun weekend!


No comments: