Friday, October 12, 2012

Parenting is hard!

Last night was parent-teacher conferences for my own children. When you are a teacher, you know the in's and out's of them, so when it is the teacher's own children, it can be quite the role reversal.

We have hit a rocky patch with parenting. Behavior is something that (with typical kids) can be controlled or modified. However, when it is behavior from an ADHD special needs child, well, it can be the biggest problem ever. Medicine is a great thing when it works, but when it doesn't, it can be quite the headache. All this to say, parenting is HARD! I feel like I need a degree in psychology and special education.

I wish I could fix all their problems, but I am admitting that I just can't! It's out of my realm of control. This is a very hard thing to admit. All I can do is my best and pray that God will intervene. This is what I am doing now. Praying for God to help in both of these incredibly special kids' lives and behavior. I know that He can do ANYTHING and that is what I am doing. I am going to give this to God and let His will be done! I would appreciate prayer for them.

1 comment:

4Me2Know said...

Praying, Jen. We go through some of this too. For example, I attend school with my kids on Monday (they're enrolled in Classical Conversations, a private homeschooling community/school based on the classical model of education.) This past week, the tutor of my oldest' class said she wanted to try some "therapeutic seating pads" (gel; for office workers) to try to help some of her students "focus." Guess whose child she suggested one for? Yep. The thing is, I pop in/out of my dd's class all day on Monday (my kids are in 3 different classrooms), plus observe her through the small door window (she's unaware that I do this.) While I know her to be distractable, she is no longer overstimulated in terms of hyper behavior (she was, somewhat, when she was younger). She does daydream alot, however. Maybe that's why this tutor thinks she would benefit from the seat??? She's 13 and I'm not sure I want her to feel singled out or embarrassed by this "special" treatment, so not sure how we'll handle this together, her tutor and me. Just one example of some things we deal with on our end too. Praying for both our special families. (btw, my 10yo is quite distractible. If I wasn't in his classroom most of the time to help him stay focused, I believe it might quickly escalate to definite behavioral interruptions.)
Blessings,
Toni