Saturday, March 31, 2012

Our trip so far

Yesterday, I picked the kids up at school early and we left around 4pm. We were making excellent time until THE WORST TRAFFIC JAM EVER on I-75 South at the TN state line. We knew that that road had collapsed and the road was moved to I-75 North in a single lane. However, we had no clue that our timing was the WORST possible time to hit this area. Well, everyone was probably on Spring Break at the same time and we were in a 2.5 hour traffic jam on a windy, curvy mountain with NO exits for miles and miles!!

It went from bad to WORSE because our van was overheating (which has NEVER happened before) due to a standstill on the interstate. I have never seen the dial point to H before and Matt and I were VERY concerned. Many cars were pulling on the emergency lane to either go to the bathroom or to let their car cool down. People were getting irritable and very rude. It was not a pleasant experience. My blood pressure started to rise and I was close to a panic attack because our gas was getting below a fourth.

I had been texting my mom the whole time and asked her to pray, plus a few friends heard the news and were praying. After these prayers, we got to the single lane and from there it was smooth sailing and we got off at the next exit to get gas. I had a NIGHT of my pulse an heart racing. After a good night's sleep, everything was well.

Today, we went to Smoky Mtn. National Park and explored a different motor trail. It was called Roaring Fork Nature Motor Trail. We visited cabins and family homesteads and the best site was the moss covered creeks and beautiful waterfall we saw all by the road. (Pics will be posted tomorrow).

Then, we went to the NASCAR Speedpark and rode go karts, rides, mini-golf and just had a blast. Now we are resting in the room and trying to decide about dinner. We plan on swimming tonight in our hotel pool.

Tomorrow, we have plans on visiting a rainforest zoo, chairlifts in Gatlinburg, shopping, and then hitting the road back home.

No comments: